Pittsburgh Penguins March Teacher of the Month
Congratulations to Brian Grubbs from Western Beaver Jr High School for being the March Penguins Teacher of the Month!
- What grade/subject do you teach and how long have you been teaching?
- I teach 7th grade Earth Science, 8th grade Physical Science, and high school Astronomy. I have been a teacher for 24 years.
- Who in your life inspired you to become a teacher?
- My high school advanced biology teacher Mr. Clark, and my field biology teacher Mr. Dzurko, inspired me to become a science teacher.
- How are you using Hockey Scholar in your classroom?
- The weeks leading up to state testing in April. The program is a great review of some basic science and math concepts and it provides a unique and entertaining change of pace from the day to day classroom curriculum.
- What was your students’ reaction to the course? Do they enjoying learning STEM alongside the Pittsburgh Penguins?
- My students enjoy using the Hockey Scholar course. They are always excited to try something new and different and the content is high interest for many junior high students. Even the students who are not big hockey fans like Hockey Scholar.
- Who is your favorite player and why?
- If you played hockey, would you rather be the goalie or a goal scorer? Why?
- If I played hockey I would want to be a goalie because I think a great save is one of the most exciting parts of a hockey game.