San Jose Sharks February Teacher of the Month
Congratulations to Lori Gaspar from John J. Montgomery Elementary School for being the Sharks Teacher of the Month!
- What grade/subject do you teach and how long have you been teaching?
- I have been teaching for 3 years, all subjects, 6th grade
- Who in your life inspired you to become a teacher?
- There were many people that I was inspired by, my kindergarten teacher, Ms. Haab, my fourth grade teacher, Mrs. Pearsall, and my mom, a retired board member, Mrs. Carolyn Clark, but mostly, my four children inspired me to go to college at age 40, and become a teacher shortly thereafter. It took me nine years to complete college and the credential program, all while raising a family.
- How are you using Hockey Scholar with students?
- The students use Hockey Scholar to enhance their textbook learning. The Hockey Scholar program allows more practice of the concepts taught in the textbook, but brings it to life, and is much more engaging.
- What was your students’ reaction to the course?
- The students enjoy using the Hockey Scholar program each morning for 20 minutes. It is a great way to warm up their brains for the rest of the academic day. Each student is able to go progress at their pace, and earns rewards along the way. It is a perfect way to bridge the textbook with further practice and review. The students love earning the awards, and working toward the Stanley Cup!
- Who is your favorite player and why?
- I do not play favorites, so I do not have a favorite player.
- If you played hockey, would you rather be the goalie or a goal scorer?
- If I played hockey, I would rather be the goal scorer because I would like to lead my team to victory.