San Jose Sharks November Teacher of the Month
Congratulations to Ms. Baliton on being selected as the Sharks Teacher of the Month for the month of November! Thank you for bringing Future Goals-Hockey Scholar to your classroom!
- What grade/subject do you teach and how long have you been teaching? I teach 5th and 6th I have been teaching for 16 years.
- Who in your life inspired you to become a teacher? My 3rd grade teacher inspired me to become a teacher. She loved teaching, and taught us to love reading and that there are new and exciting things to learn!
- How are you using Hockey Scholar in your classroom? I started using Hockey Scholar to teach the students about how computers work, cyber-etiquette, and what kind of information you should and should not share online. I also give the students the opportunity to see how math and science work hand in hand with hockey.
- What was your students’ reaction to the course? Do they enjoy learning STEM alongside the San Jose Sharks? My students are very enthusiastic about this program. The real world applications appeal to them!
- Who is your favorite player and why? My favorite player is Brent Burns. He is not only an amazing defenseman with a rocket of a shot; he also gives back to the community.
- If you played hockey, would you rather be the goalie or a goal scorer? Why? I would be a goal scorer, but I also think that making the assist in a goal is just as important! Hockey is, after all, a team sport. Both my sons play hockey, and one plays offense, and one plays defense. They both score, but they also know the value of passing and aiding in the goals!