Dallas Stars January Teacher of the Month
Congratulations to Ms. Mary Wali from W.E. Greiner school for receiving the Stars teacher of the month award!
- What grade/subject do you teach and how long have you been teaching?
- 6th grade AVID, also a US History Teacher. This is my 5th year teaching.
- Who in your life inspired you to become a teacher?
- My teachers in elementary influenced my direction towards education. I was truly influenced by one of my friends in the Urban League Greater Dallas YP organization who was a fellow teacher.
- How are you using Hockey Scholar in your classroom?
- My students participated in the Future Goals STEM program on the Everfi website. They wrote and submitted essays for the Everfi scholarship program as well. It was amazing because a lot of these students have never submitted or applied for an essay. Some of my students had never even typed a paper. It was very mind blowing to know I helped them write their very first scholarship essay.
- What was your students’ reaction to the course? Do they enjoy learning STEM alongside the Dallas Stars?
- My students loved it. I think it’s awesome that this type of program is offered to help introduce young minds to STEM programs.
- Who is your favorite player and why?
- I will admit I am new to Hockey. I don’t have a favorite. They are all important.
- If you played hockey, would you rather be the goalie or a goal scorer? Why?
- I am a former collegiate athlete, so I would say goal scorer. I like to run and be involved in the action.
Here are some of Ms. Wali’s students participating in the Stars Future Goals program!